Questions for Discussion:
- What are the three broad categories that acute renal failure can be divided into?
- Utilizing the urine and blood chemistry values, how can one distinguish between prerenal azotemia and acute tubular necrosis?
- Based on the information provided, what is the most likely etiology of this patient’s renal failure?
- What additional tests would be helpful in confirming the diagnosis?
- a. What are the indications for dialysis in general?
b. What are the indications for dialysis specifically in this patient?
- What EKG abnormalities are associated with hyperkalemia?
- How would you acutely manage the hyperkalemia in this patient?
- How would you interpret the renal ultrasound findings in this case?
- This patient has hyperkalemia, hypocalcemia and hyperphosphatemia. What factor(s) are responsible for these derangements?