Questions for Discussion:
- What is the significance of the CBC?
- How do you interpret the CD4 and CD8 counts? What complications, if any, do you consider this patient at risk for given his current CD4 count? Is the viral load high or low? Does HIV replicate rapidly or slowly? What therapy, if any, would you recommend?
- What is the significance of the PPD result? What additional work up, if any, would you perform to address this, and would you offer any treatment?
- What is the significance of the elevated transaminase results? Would you order any additional tests?
- How would you counsel the patient regarding prognosis and potential for treatment response and outcome?