Questions for Discussion:
- What is the risk of acquiring hepatitis from blood transfusions? What kinds of hepatitis can be transmitted via transfusion? What reduces this risk?
- What problem are you observing in this patient at this time? What do the ultrasound findings tell you? What would you do for this patient at this time?
- What is the likely diagnosis at this time? Defend your diagnosis.
- What information would be gained from a liver biopsy? What information would be gained from an UGI endoscopy?
- What treatment might you consider for this patient? Is the patient infectious to family members? To sexual partners? To health care providers? What precautions should be taken?
- What are the most common complications of chronic liver disease? What strategies are available to prevent these?
When should hepatic transplantation be considered?
- What is your differential diagnosis and plan?
- What is your differential diagnosis? What should be done to investigate
the cause of fever and abdominal pain?
- Please interpret ascitic fluid results. What is the cause of his mental status changes?
How should it be treated?
- What are the possible causes for decline in renal function? How can you differentiate
between these causes?