Questions for Discussion:
- What is the risk of acquiring hepatitis from blood transfusions? What kinds of hepatitis can be transmitted via transfusion? What reduces this risk?
- What problem are you observing in this patient at this time? What do the ultrasound findings tell you? What would you do for this patient at this time?
- What is the likely diagnosis at this time? Defend your diagnosis.
- What information would be gained from a liver biopsy? What information would be gained from an UGI endoscopy?
- What treatment might you consider for this patient? Is the patient infectious to family members? To sexual partners? To health care providers? What precautions should be taken?
- What are common complications of chronic liver and what strategies are available to prevent these? What is the role of hepatic transplantation in this setting?
- What is your differential diagnosis and plan?
- What is your differential diagnosis and what should be done to investigate fever
- Please interpret fluid analysis. What causes mental status changes and how should it be treated.
- What is the possible cause for decline in renal function and how to differentiate?