Case #1 Questions:
- What is “normal body temperature”?
- What is a Fever of Unknown Origin?
- What general categories of illness account for the majority of FUO cases?
- What is the most critical feature of the evaluation of a patient with FUO?
- What diagnostic tests should be considered in the evaluation of a patient with FUO?
- What further laboratory evaluations should be obtained at this time?
- What are the causes of postoperative fever?
- What evaluation should be undertaken in diagnosing the cause of postoperative fever ?
- What are common sites of infection in neutropenic hosts?
- What are the predisposing factors to development of a neutropenic fever?
- What are the common organisms responsible for bacteremia?
- What antimicrobials should be used for empiric therapy?
- Should vancomycin be part of the initial empiric regimen?
- Which antimicrobials would be most appropriate?
- What should be your next intervention?
- For which organ isms might we attempt to treat a catheter associated infection without removing the tunneled catheter? For what infections should a central venous catheter be removed?