- Identify the clinical condition of ketoacidosis, appropriate management of ketoacidosis, and potential complicating factors.
- Know the management of a diabetic undergoing surgery, especially CABG surgery, and the use of insulin in a hospitalized diabetic who is ill and unable to eat.
- Know outpatient insulin management regimens.
- Be able to obtain, document and present an appropriate medical history that differentiates among the different types of acidosis, with special attention to patient's history of diabetes and/or alcohol abuse.
- Harrison's Textbook of Medicine, chapter on diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Gonzalez-Compoy JM, Robertson RP. Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar non-ketotic state. PostGradMed 1996;99:143-152.
- Hirsch IB, Paauw DS, Brunzell J. Inpatient management of adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care 1995;18:870-879.
- Fauci AS, et al. (eds.): Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. (14th Edition) NY: McGraw Hill, 1998. Chapter 334 - Diabetes Mellitus. (pp. 2060-2087, esp. 2071-2074).