In answering the questions for cases 1 - 3, keep in mind the approach of the Ethical Workup Guide devised by Dr. Thomasma. For some of the questions below, the answer is fairly obvious but it is important that you begin to ground that response in something more than gut feeling.
The steps are as follows:
- What are the facts of the case?
- What are the values at risk in the case?
- What are the main conflicts between values, professional norms, and ethical axioms, rules, and principles?
- Determine possible courses of action, and which values the possible courses would protect or infringe.
- Choose a course of action.
- Defend your choice.
YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BRING ONE OF YOUR CASES FROM THE ICU'S AND BE PREPARED TO DISCUSS IT!
Please use the format of the ethical workup as a basis for your discussion.