- Lung cancer is a preventable disease. If cigarette consumption is stopped, we
can probably prevent 99% of lung cancers.
- As a physician, it is your obligation to set an
example by not smoking and to advise patients not to smoke.
- You can offer options to aid
patients in quitting their habit.
- Nicotine chewing gum or patches
- Clinics which specialize in helping patients quit smoking
- Take an active role in bringing legislation to curb the use of cigarettes in
- Additionally, advertisements should be discontinued which encourage
children to start the habit.
- We probably should not attempt to ban cigarettes completely.
It is unlikely to succeed, as we have learned from our past experience in trying to ban