Principles of Therapy
Therapeutic options consist of:
- Surgery is the best option
- Non-small cell cancer in stages 1, 2, 3a
- Acceptable general condition as a
- In general, small cell cancer is not
a surgical disease.
- Radiation Therapy
- If the general condition precludes the patient from being a surgical candidate,
Radiation therapy is chosen.
- Palliative Radiation therapy has an important role for relief
of symptoms in inoperable cases.
- Chemotherapy is the treatment of choice for small cell cancer. Its role in NSCC
is under investigation.
- Supportive Care
One needs to consider the following to determine the best option.
- Cell type
- Clinical status